A friend of mine recently asked me if it were truly impossible to jailbreak 3GS phones. Absolutely not, I said! So, for him and for you, I’ve laid out this guide to jailbreaking your iPhone. This entire process should take only about 30 minutes.
1. Prior to breaking your mobile device you have to jailbreak it and this calls for the genuine Apple IPSW. Hook the device up to your computer and follow that up by clicking the restore button. Indicate that you consent to do a back-up of the iPhone and then download the software that will start the restore process. When you see the download pop-up message come up on the right side of the screen, unhook the phone. You don’t actually desire to let the restore finish; you really just need to get your paws on the IPSW file.
2. When the download ends, pop open redsn0w. Click on the button that says “open”. If you are downloading via iTunes, you have to choose the iPhone2, 1_3.0 7A1 file – It’s in the phones’ library where it states the name as iPhone Program Updates; (it might be under the sub-account that says user).
3. When you pick “ok” and then select the button that is labelled “continue”, go to the kernel and start compiling the specialized firmware that is intended for use in unlocking the mobile phone. Once you’ve completed this step it will ask to pick the options taht you like. Click the Icy and Cydia options and hit “next” to permit redsn0w to complete the process of putting together the firmware.
4. When the firmware is assembled, redsn0w will then at once put your phone into the DFU mode. You should know that 3GS iPhones carry very different processes with regard to DFU mode versus less recently manufactured iPhones. Carefully follow the process to unplug, power down and plug in the device. Hold the home button until the iTunes logo shows up. The application is then able to begin the process of unlocking.
5. Once the unlock process ends, hook up to your Wireless network and pop open “Icy”. It will verify, and then you should do an edit at the top right section of the screen and next hit the plus button at the top left corner. Click the Add button to type in: http://repo666.ultrasn0w.com where it says source. Click the bigger add button. Hit refresh to complete verification.
6. Whilst you have the Icy app open, you should scroll toward the bottom of the screen and select the key that says “Utilities”. Be certain that you hit “Utilities”, not “Utility”. At the bottom of the utilities screen “ultrasn0w” should be seen”. Push that and then Push “Install”. When the install is finished, your jailbreak 3GS is complete – simply restart the device and you are completely done!
Before you purchase any jailbreaking programsonline, make sure you check Josh Jones’ excellent free write-up on the best jailbreak 3gs software, and his tutorial on how to jailbreak 3g iPhones in general