If you think the email marketing game is over, you would be mistaken. Sending emails is still one of the most effective ways to reach out and attract new customers, make sales, and generate a larger base of loyal followers. Small businesses, online or offline, shouldn’t ignore the email marketing opportunities available to them.
Even with the growth of social media marketing, email is still a wildly efficient marketing strategy.
How can you get the most from your email marketing strategy and grow your leads list?
A quality, up-to-date email list helps you grow your list and get more out of it. The following tips will help you do that.
- Create a content strategy – Decide what kind of content you will send via email and when to deliver said emails to subscribers. Plan. Plan. Plan.
- Keep it simple –You don’t need much information; just their name and email address is plenty. Keep registration forms short so they can enter their information, click ‘register’, then confirm their email. You can add to the simplicity by allowing them to connect using their social media account(s).
- Bonuses or incentives – Give people a reason to provide their email address to you. How will that benefit them? You can offer a free, no-obligation short-term training course via email, a free eBook, coupons, or discounts for their next purchase.
- Personalize it – Make your messages personal by using their name and a custom message to your list.
- Subscription information – Let your subscribers know what they should expect from the information in the emails. How often will they get an email (daily, weekly, monthly – or let them choose frequency), what type of information (articles, offers, coupons, etc.)?
- Button placement – Your registration button should be easy to find. The best practices for registration button placement include the top right sidebar, above the fold, at the end of your articles, or in the footer.
- Easy-to-read – Every email should be quick and easy to read by the recipient. If your title and/or first line of the email don’t grab attention, they won’t read on and will likely delete it. Make it easy to scan at a quick glance.
- Do what you promise – Don’t send out more emails than you promised and don’t send irrelevant information or articles. Always deliver as promised and you’ll keep more subscribers.
- Mobile-friendly – Make sure your emails are mobile-friendly because almost half of emails are read on tablets or smartphones.
- Opt-out/Unsubscribe – While you don’t want to lose subscribers, you must legally give them a way to opt-out or unsubscribe from future emails. Make the process easy, like one-click unsubscribe.
- Cross-selling – Cross-selling and upselling are two major ways to increase your revenue, and offer special discounts for related products.
- neglect building an email list
- forget to send out newsletters
- leave out offers and incentives for signing up
- buy emails from outside sources
- fail to ask for email verification
- forget to follow emailing best practices
- send bulk emails through a vendor
- fail to do A/B testing
With more than 3.6 billion email account users on the planet, you can’t afford not to have an email marketing strategy for your small business. Even with all the new technology and social media marketing out there, email is still one of the most efficient methods for contacting and engaging your customers. It furthers your ability to build relationships, not just customers.